wii U

Shigeru Miyamoto says Star Fox Zero is delayed on a facebook post.
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

Legendary developer Shigeru Miyamoto himself wrote a Facebook post Sept. 17 to announce that Star Fox Zero would not ship this year.

Even though the goal had long been for a holiday season launch of the anthropomorphic fighter pilot game, more work is needed Miyamoto said.

We have been developing Star Fox Zero for Wii U with the aim of releasing it this year. Although we felt that the development had been progressing well, we now believe that we will need a little more time to work on areas such as the unprecedented discovery that we want players to experience in the game by using two screens, and further polishing the level designs and perfecting the tone of the cut scenes. While we have already reached the stage where it would be technically possible to release the title in time for the year-end holiday season, we want to polish the game a bit more so that players will be able to more smoothly grasp the new style of play that we are proposing.

To the people looking forward to the launch of the game this holiday season, I am very sorry.

Star Fox Zero was playable at E3 and it received widely mixed reactions. Some praised the control scheme, which employs the use of the Wii U game pad to steer the ships and some found the gameplay distracting and awkward.

Miyamoto said they hope to see the game released in the first quarter of 2016. This leaves Yoshi's Wooly World (in America) and Xenoblade Chronicles X as the only first part Wii U games to see a release through the rest of this year.

Tournaments are coming to Super Smash Bros for the Wii U
Via: Eurogamer
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

Nintendo released the next update for Super Smash Bros. July 31 and it has a number of updates for lovers of the frantic fighting game.

Eurogame reports that this next version includes free and priced improvements.

Version 1.1.0 adds the two new features for free. Tournaments let you compete online with scores of other players, while the in-built YouTube upload lets you save replays to the streaming video site and Miiverse simultaneously.

Support for another wave of paid-for DLC has also been added, although you'll need to purchase all of it separately.

Highlights among the list of add-ons include the Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle stages from the original Smash Bros. back on N64.

Nintendo also now sells a new batch of costumes for your Mii so they can look fresh while fighting. Choices include Samus armor and this super cute King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series:

Fighting stages will cost $1.99 while those adorbs Mii costumes will cost you $.75 each or you can buy a bundle ofr $6.

Via: Ubisoft
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

We've heard rumors about it for a while, but Ubisoft made the porting of ZombiU official July 30 with a bloody reveal trailer.

It's now just called Zombi, by the way, for obvious reasons.

The London-based zombie survival shooter will arrive, digitally only, Aug. 18. It will come to Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC. That marks a pretty quick turn around between reveal and release, but Ubisoft just probably wants to wash its hands of the whole affair.

Ubisoft created ZombiU as one of the only third-party launch exclusives for the Wii U, when Nintendo released the console in late 2012. As we all know, the console and therefore the game, didn't sell all that well. It was only July 29 when Nintendo announced that the Wii U had sold 10 million units.

In the middle of 2013, Ubisoft came out with zombie-preventative guns blazing about the Wii U's poor performance. First, the giant game developer and publisher canceled a ZombiU sequel, saying the sales didn't make the game "even close" to profitable.

Then, Ubisoft said that it would no longer develop exclusive titles for Nintendo until the Wii U has more users. There's no telling what number it would take to bring back that relationship.

So, if you've waited around, refusing to buy a Wii U but thinking ZombiU looks cool, now's your chance. It received a number of positive reviews and currently sits at 77 on Metacritic.

If only that 'London Bridges' rendition in the trailer wasn't so goofy.

10 million Wii U consoles are sold.
Via: Polygon
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

It took more than two and a half years, but Nintendo's Wii U console has managed to clear 10 million units sold.

According to Polygon:

Nintendo's Wii U console crossed the 10 million units sold threshold in the three-month period ended June 2015 (PDF link), while the console's new shooter, Splatoon, sold 1.62 million units.

Worldwide Wii U sales reached 470,000 units, compared to 510,000 units in the same quarter last year in the wake of Mario Kart 8's May 29, 2014 release. The Wii U was released in November 2012 and has struggled to sell, compared to Nintendo's previous consoles and its current competitors.

The console has been famously slow selling, though those Splatoon numbers are good news for Nintendo's newest franchise.

For comparison, it took the Wii a little under a year to sell through 10 Million units, as you can see in this fancy chart:

Additionally, it took the Playstation 4, the fastest selling console of this generation, 10 months to sell that many units.

If you want to look at the whole Nintendo sales report, like some crazy, you can do that here.

Wii U won't get Project Cars because it's too much for the hardware
Via: IGN
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

Sorry Wii U racing fans, you'll have to stick with Mario Kart for now.

IGN is reporting that Project CARS for the Wii U is cancelled.

Slightly Mad Studios boss Ian Bell put out a press release to explain:

Despite much perseverance on the Wii U version of Project CARS we will no longer be actively pursuing development on it as the quality does not meet our own high standards nor our intended vision for the title on this platform. We eagerly look forward to any announcement of further hardware from Nintendo but right now Project CARS is simply too much for Wii U despite our very best efforts. Apologies to our Nintendo fans out there that have been waiting for further news on this but have no desire to release a product that isn't at the very least comparable with our highest-rated versions on other platforms. We optimistically look forward therefore to what the future may hold.

In an interview with Nintendo Life Bell said it a little clearer.

"The official line is that we're awaiting an announcement from Nintendo on new hardware," he said. "As of now pCARS is simply too much for the Wii U."

Sounds like they, as well as many other third party developers, are waiting to see if the announced NX console will be able to better to handle modern standards.

Via: Nintendo
  • -
  • Vote
  • -

In a move that should surprise no one, Nintendo has announced a delay for the new Legend of Zelda title for Wii U.  The game was originally expected to be released some time this year, but the team behind it is no longer focusing on meeting that deadline in order to have the freedom to produce a better game.  Here's hoping it's worth the wait.

Back to Top